Happy Spring: Simple Maintenance Tips for a Moisture-Free Season
Happy first official day of spring! Spring has sprung which means warmer temperatures, flowers in full bloom and a lengthy list of chores. For your spring cleaning checklist this year, focus on function over fashion. Before reviving your lawn and tending to your garden, make sure home systems are working properly and are ready for the rainy season.
Spring Maintenance Tips:
- Clean rain gutters/downspouts: Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and extend all the way down to the ground and then at least 6 feet away from the home to divert water away from your foundation. Tighten any lose gutter straps and downspout extensions to ensure they remain bonded to the home.
- Clean/repair foundation vents: Remove debris from crawlspace vents. Repair broken screens to prevent critters and water intrusion, as well as tighten screens in place to affix them properly to your home foundation.
- Examine walls and floor for soft spots: Feel walls and floors for soft spots indicating water damage and look for cracks.
- Check Windows & Doors: It is recommended to replace the caulk around windows and doorways each spring, as cold temperatures from winter can cause cracks and gaps that allow water to seep in. Also, be sure to clear window wells of debris to ensure proper water drainage. You may install a drainage pipe if problems persist. The drainage pipe is filled with gravel to maintain shape and allow water to pass through and extends down to the drainage tile around the perimeter of the footing. Another alternative is to install a clear plastic dome to prevent water and debris from clogging the window well.
- Test Sump Pump & Battery Back Up: Once the outside water is under control, test interior systems including your sump pump and battery back up to ensure plugs are working and water is being pumped properly. Self test your sump pump by removing the lid and slowly pouring water into the well and as it fills up the sump pump float should turn the pump on to complete a cycle.
Springing into action with these simple home maintenance chores in the beginning of the season will save you time from repair work being done later, ultimately saving you money and leaving you with a dry home that can withstand the rainy season and be ready for summer. After you complete your spring checklist and you find signs of water intrusion and damage, don’t delay! Give our experts a call at (877) 770-7050 or schedule a FREE assessment of your crawlspace or basement.